What exactly is a Multisig? Why is it popular amongst devs?

Hello i am new to programming and web3, but learning quickly… ,but still new, and i am curious on the reasonings for the mulitisg being used everywhere?
who is knowing why this is so common (not just on these forum)
please if anyone can share why it is popular that would be helpful. i send a first contract earlier today with mulitisig (through a friend as the 2nd manager of the wallet) but am not so familiar still.

39 Likes

Mostly for security reasons. I.e. if a company doesn’t want one person to have full control over what is deployed or what funds are moved, you can implement a multi sig, so that two separate wallets have to sign off on any transaction. it is to keep a separation of concentration of powers essentially.

21 Likes

Yep, pretty much this

Also if one dev/team member were to go ‘rogue’ and tries to move funds, he wouldn’t be able to on his own

16 Likes

yeah, if you want to checkout a reliable multi-sig with an excellent user interface, I just setup an m-safe.

they’ve been here since day 1 of aptos launch, and its what all the big teams over here use.

if you want help setting one up for yourself, just pm me. :+1:

15 Likes

hey just pmed you, would like an intro to it. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I also want to know.

8 Likes

just completed one on the move language in one of the ecosystem websites; i can answer questions if you’d like!

8 Likes

thank you for sharing your idea!

8 Likes

agree with you !

7 Likes

Way of making it impossible for a dev to have access to withdraw at withdraw funds at anytime without the signature of another dev or admin

6 Likes

I really gotta give m-safe a try - been looking to setup a multisig but just haven’t gotten to it! Any tips on setup?

4 Likes

that happens more than most people would think, multi-sigs are really the backbone of the entire defi ecosystem. not all heros wear capes!

4 Likes

thank you for sharing!!!

3 Likes

With multisig, You need several wallets to sign a transaction for it to be approved

3 Likes

Your idea is good

2 Likes

Basically you split the trust among several entities (N). You can set up the multisig so that you need n/N signers for eg. initiating a transaction.

3 Likes

I am learning daily

2 Likes

Your ideas is amezing

1 Like

i want to know the information

3 Likes