Aptos Domain Name Should Be Sold Instead Be Rent

Instead of following the .eth way (which is the web2 domain renting with a name of web3), I suggest Aptos Foundation consider using .sol and .sui, way, use one time purchase to replace the current yearly renewal.

A big difference between web2 and web3 is the ownership, if we are still using the domain renting way, it’s not a real web3 domain service, it’s just a web2 domain name service living on blockchain.

Personally, I will not purchase any renting web3 domain, and I will encourage others not either.

I know some Aptos Galxe Quests encouraging us to purchase .apt domain name, and I know that might increase the chance of potential APT airdropp qualification, but I didn’t and I won’t unless I can purchase an .apt domain name with one time payment. Becuase I’m not an airdropp farmer who runs tons of wallets to speculate airdropp, I’m an Aptos blockchain user, I only use the projects I think are good on Aptos.

To be honest, I like airdropp, who doesn’t? Since I got my 150 $APT airdropp as a new commer back then with little mission participation, I was shocked and amazed by Aptos Foundation’s generocity and caring for the community, and I became a hard-core Aptos community member (Also I want to remind everyone how SUI treats its community, it’s a disgrace, and I will never use that blockchain, but I observe it, to see anything good we can learn here on Aptos).

So, I sincerely wish Aptos Foundation could consider my suggestion, to update the Aptos Domain Name Service to an one time purcahse mode for the long thriving of Aptos ecosystem.

71 Likes

Awesome take, I aggree with this

19 Likes

Absolutely, i think renting domain is a mess, would be nice if they were bought forever

17 Likes

I agree that this would be a great idea. If we are able to buy a one and done domain name, it is more likely that we will use it forever just like we use our email and twitter names.

18 Likes

Good idea… better buy one time ! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Solana name service is one time purchase, and we know Solana community is pretty strong and doing very well this round.
And Sui name service is one time purchase, even I don’t use Sui myself, but I agree with their Name Service strategy.

15 Likes

I hope the domains will be owned by us forever oneday, because end of the day, it is decentralisation, power to people.

12 Likes

I agree! The domain names should forever belong to us in the same way our email addresses or Twitter IDs belong to us. We shouldn’t have to keep paying to use them. Let us oay a one time fee and be done!

14 Likes

This is one thought that went up my mind while I was registering for an aptos name. Glad that there is a forum where we can express our opinions to let the devs known. Although, the free renewal promotion is generous of the team, it would be great if it was a one time buy.

13 Likes

really? its like good

4 Likes

I agree comp0letely but they don’t want to lose fixed income every year :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@bigdestiny 100% agree

4 Likes

Sign under this… Really good idea.

4 Likes

It’s a good point

4 Likes

Interesting, thank you !

5 Likes

yes i tend to agree of one time payment instead of renting. I prefer a one time payment for lifetime use of a domain name.

7 Likes

There are many ways to generate income by web3 domain, I truly hope the foundation can have higher view of this issue.

7 Likes

yeah thats a good idea I like owning vs renting.

7 Likes

easier said than done unfortunately

6 Likes

Solana and Sui already doing it, it’s not that hard, really simply depends on Aptos foundation.
It’s not like the Aptos is the first one to do so.

6 Likes